Past Public Involvement:
Thank you for coming to the Anchorage Transportation Fair to learn about the project, meet members of the Project Team, ask questions and provide feedback.
Anchorage Transportation Fair
Wednesday, February 4, 2015
4 PM to 8 PM
Alaska Airlines Center Auxiliary
University of Alaska Anchorage
Please check back for future public involvement activities, or contact a member of the project team with questions or comments.
Thank you for attending the Open House
Thursday, November 6, 2014
6:30 PM – 8:30PM
Valley Bible Chalet
29135 (MP 102) Seward Highway
If you missed the Open House, you can still ask questions and provide feedback!
View the Open House graphics on the Public Involvement Page
Notice of Public Scoping Meeting Thursday, November 6th 2014 (pdf)
The Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities (DOT&PF) is proposing improvements on the Seward Highway, MP 100-105, between the communities of Bird Creek and Indian. The federally funded action includes a Resurfacing, Restoration, and Rehabilitation (3R) project, and a Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) project. The 3R project will extend the roadway service life. The HSIP project will improve safety and reduce congestion.
Proposed project improvements on the Seward Highway:
Seward Highway MP 100-105 3R
Improvements will follow the Resurfacing, Rehabilitation and Restoration (3R) approach and include;
- Resurfacing the existing highway and upgrading guardrail and culverts as needed;
- Adding 1-mile of multi-use pathway from Indian Road to Indian Creek on the north side of the highway;
- Constructing a new pathway under the Indian Creek Bridge to connect to the existing trail on the south side of the highway (Bird to Gird);
- Replacing the Indian Creek Bridge; and
- Rehabilitating the Bird Creek Bridge.
Seward Highway Left Turn Lanes HSIP
This project was nominated in 2013 under the Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) and will be combined with the Seward Highway MP 100–105 project. Improvements include:
- Widening the highway to add left turn lanes at the Boretide Road and Sawmill Road Intersections;
- Installing a flashing beacon at the Sawmill Road intersection;
- Adding intersection lighting;
- Managing driveway access.
The following map shows an overview of the proposed improvements:
Current Status (Spring 2019)
The project is currently in the 95% final design phase. The 95% Design is being presented to the public at an open house on Thursday, March 21st at the Indian Valley Bible Chalet from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM. Once design is finalized in April 2019, a contractor will be selection with construction beginning in late 2019-2021.